Friday, September 16, 2011

Literacy Timeline

Through my life I have grown physically and mentally. From day one, literacy was key to communicating and growing to learn how I wanted to communicate.
  •  Growing up at the ages of around three or four, I learned my literacy through language and expression. I grew up hearing a little vulgar language and how to be tough. This taught me how to be straight forward. This was the foundation of what became of my personality in my writing and speech.
  • At four and five, I would watch Sesame Street which gave me my first background with letters and numbers. However, not only did it teach literacy in letters and numbers, but also how to be social and kind to others.
  • In my family, there was a lot of arguing that went on between members. Watching I learned how to argue and use logic to win arguments. This effected me down the road by allowing me to be persuasive in my composition and how I spoke to people.
  • Another event that made me literate was watching movies. Believe it or not, but watching intense movies only mature people understand at my elementary level also taught me how to convey yourself. I used to imitate the people I saw in these movies I watched when I was six and seven years old.
  • In fourth to seventh grade, my dad would take me along to business meetings with partners and others knowing I was listening. This taught me the language of business and how to interact with other officials of business.
  • In seventh and eighth grade, I learned the literacy of values of electronics and the language of sales. This was an overlap of how I learned to be persuasive from the past.
  • In my freshman year, my father and I would talk business and what certain things meant, like abbreviations and how to read deals and official paperwork.
  • Sophomore year to present, I would read business articles that had to do with the legitimate corporate world, and how to sell things to kids like electronics. Also, I think of and research ideas for business with the "lingo" that goes along with it.
Through this time line, it is evident that my true literacy that I tried to target went beyond reading or writing fundamentals. Instead, they proved how I became a good speaker and businessman over time through these events.

No comments:

Post a Comment